Job vacancy - Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer (Cryogenic)
Position: Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer (Cryogenic)
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 per annum
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer (Cryogenic)
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To ensure that the company maintains its position as the leading provider of Cryo-SEM preparation chambers and EM coaters by developing new products, particularly in the Cryo-EM area. A new position has been created to meet increased demand for new product development, with a focus on working with electron microscope manufacturers to develop integrated products.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Electro-mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for designing new products for Cryo-EM sample preparation. Tasks will include:
- Liaising with Sales, Marketing and OEM customers to define customer needs and document them in technical requirements.
- Producing 3D models and 2D CAD drawings to BS888.
- Create CAD (SolidWorks) BOMs and Assembly structures, allocating new part numbers from development models for new products.
- Manufacture/Assembly/Test of Prototypes.
- Generate BOMs and support documentation prior to release of product to Production.
- Advising engineers at OEM design departments in the UK and overseas on the best way to integrate Quorum's cryogenic sample prep products into their microscopes.
- Proposing possible solutions for critical sample prep problems based on a deep understanding of thermal dynamics and material properties.
- Training sales representatives and distributors on the capabilities of the Quorum solution.
- Analysing designs for thermal performance, calculating heat loads and thermal conductivity of components.
- Promoting Quorum's technical solutions at scientific conferences and technical trade fairs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Degree or HND in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
The successful candidate must have:
- At least 5 years mechanical design experience working within vacuum technology or cryogenic sectors.
- Must be competent in using SolidWorks & PDM.
- High Vacuum Systems: design, build & testing (in order of 1 x 10-7 mbar).
- Design of LN2 cooled systems.
- Design calculations for vacuum system components (conductance, pump-down times, etc.) and for thermal components (thermal conductivity, radiative heat load, etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to cope with rapidly changing demands on time and prioritise jobs according to urgency.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to challenge and question while maintaining positive relationships.
ACS are recruiting for a Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer. If you feel that you have the skills and experience required in this advertisement to be an Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer, please submit your CV including an outline of your experience as an Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer. It is always a good idea to include a covering letter outlining your experience as an Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer with your application as this will enhance your chances of selection and improve your prospects of landing the Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer role you desire.